I wonder if it is pure coincidence that I am making Fruit Leathers around the same time as my first attempt last year? Or maybe there is some unknown force at work...
The theme of my Christmas this year seems to be hand-made...everything. So, in accordance, I made strawberry-banana fruit leathers as a gift and Christmas treat for my brother's girlfriend, who is avoiding sugar and spending Christmas with us this year. Though fruit leather is not complicated to make, it is very delicious. Here's a basic process—endless adaptations are possible.
Simple Strawberry & Banana Fruit Roll Ups
- some amount of fully ripened strawberries (I used a pint)
- some amount of very ripe bananas (I used three)
1. Remove stems and wash strawberries. Puree with bananas in a blender, until very smooth.
2. Gradually strain the mixture through a sieve to remove strawberry seeds, then pour and spread onto non-stick dehydrator sheets (mine covered two sheets).
3. Dehydrated at 115F until dry—they should peel off easily and be slightly tacky, but not sticky.
4. Cut & wrap.